Sunday, August 12, 2012

GF Cupcake Trick

My son is going into first grade, and he is still of the age when cupcakes are really the coolest thing ever.  Well, I guess half the world is still "of that age," when you get right down to it.  Cupcakes have gotten much more fancy and dare I say, even sexy, over the past few years.  Although we can't just pop into our local cupcake boutique, we can still make them at home.  I should be able to post for you my homemade fancy (even sexy) cupcake recipe, but I'm really not that brave as of yet.  Instead, I buy the box cake mix.  Betty Crocker, the angel that she is, now makes a GF cake mix, and I buy the yellow cake variety.

Anytime there is a bake sale, class party, or family dinner thing at my son's school, I make sure to send a big box of GF cupcakes, just so he won't feel left out.  I was actually complimented by a friend on my tasty cupcakes, when she accidentally ate a GF one, so I guess they're pretty good.  However, I thought that they were just okay.  I think that the cupcakes taste a little too strongly of vanilla, and I think the texture is a little dense.  So I started tweaking the box recipe a little, and this is what works for us.

The box recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.  I only use one (1) teaspoon instead of two.  The box recipe calls for 2/3 of a cup of water.  I use 1/3 cup water, and 1/3 cup orange juice.  I also add just shy of one tablespoon of baking POWDER.  Any more than that is too much.  The only other thing that I might do in the future is possibly add a little orange zest, if I happen to have an orange around that day.

Little kids seem to have cupcake parties every time you turn around.  I got caught unprepared once last year, when there was a surprise birthday party in my son's kindergarten class, and I vowed that it wouldn't happen again.  Now we have a freezer full of these little gems.  And as a bonus, I picked up a travel cupcake container (plastic) at BB&B, so I can put it in his lunchbox and not worry that it will get smashed.  Or thrown.  Or slung around.

No comments:

Post a Comment